Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Write about the most recent gift you gave someone


I stand outside our son's bedroom and listen to the soft sound of my husband's voice as he sings our son to sleep. It is dulled by the closed door. But the lullaby is the sweetest sound I've heard all day. I can't help but share in this special moment.
A soft murmur of love comes from our son. He loves his daddy just as much as I do.
As the song comes to a close, I pull my ear away from the door.
My day has been filled with requests. I feel like a slave. A slave to a three year old. I just want to fall into bed. But the morning always comes too quickly.
There is another person in my life. A person who usually takes a back seat to the frequent requests. Or becomes the new request slave. My husband.
It takes almost a half hour, but the time finally comes when my husband joins me in bed. Even though I feel like I could close my eyes and be asleep in seconds, I know I must cherish this precious relationship. If I don't nourish it with time, what will make it continue to grow?
He must be feeling the same way as I, his eyes half closed and sleepy. I resist the urge to turn off the light and call it a night. Instead, I reach for his hand and cuddle up to his side. His free arm finds it's familiar resting place around my waist. We lay there for a moment, just relearning the planes of each other's faces. I tuck away the color of his eyes, the way his full lips tip up at the corners, the way his chin dimples, and how he has never looked more handsome to me than he does in this moment, even with his cheek pressed against his pillow and his curls a tangled mess. There's nothing sweeter than a kind and loving husband and father, and he is worth all the time in the world. A few less moments of sleep is worth him knowing how much I love him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment